Thursday 19 July 2007

Making London Happy

London wins almost £10m Lottery funding to improve its citizens' mental and physical well-being over 5 years.

I said I'd be looking at the CIPD's approach to well-being in this post, but this piece of news got there first. One of my colleagues, Sherry Clark, who co-ordinates the mental health promotion team for the South London and Maudsley NHS Trust, emailed me earlier to tell me that Well London, a London Health Commission programme, has been successful in its bid for funding to improve the well-being of the citizens of London. This programme has the potential to transform the lives of 35,000 people in 20 of London's most deprived boroughs.

It's particularly satisfying that these will be community-led projects which involve local people, and which will leave them with the confidence and skills to continue even after the 5 year project has ended. I'm also delighted that the University of East London, where I'm currently working towards my MSc in Applied Positive Psychology, has designed the research and evaluation framework to demonstrate the programme's success.

I'm looking forward to hearing how the programme develops, and will keep you posted!

No comments: