Last year, I experienced a particularly unique and simple approach to goal setting. I'd like to share it with you:
1. On a piece of paper write 3 statements about your experience of 2006: Both Good :-) or Bad :-(
2. Once you have digested these statements, take note of your over-riding thoughts or emotions
3. Walk to a waste-paper bin
4. Tear up the piece of paper and put it into the bin
You may find this difficult to do, especially if you have had a good year - do it anyway. Last year is gone, and you will never get it back again; good or bad. This is a chance to experience 'closure'.
Now walk back to your work surface:
1. Take out a new piece of paper
2. Write 3 statements about your aspirations for 2007
3. Think about the first step you need to take to make a new start, or to continue with work-in-progress (it may be one overarching step or 3 distinct ones)
Enjoy the journey!
With special thanks to Antonella Shorrock for first introducing me to this technique